To create “text sprites” the first order of business is to display some text. Sounds simple enough, eh? Ah, but this is not just any text, it’s ASCII + “High ASCII” glyphs of Codepage 437; An emulation of the old DOS / EGA text mode.
HTML5 canvas composition is slow! So, In order to display the classic font efficiently I’ve converted it into something of a stencil, one for each background color. The foreground color is rendered. first, then the stencil for the desired background color is overlaid.
After I got the font & colors squared away I began creating the point and click “text editing” tools. Today I got the color palette selection and text-tile chooser created. With any luck, in the next 24 hours I will be able to draw some frames of text.
My InvadeRL dev-blog has a bit more info, and screenshots of some old DOS games that inspired me.