Rogue Tactics – Judgment Day

Some progress has slowly been made. However, it feels like crude hack atop crude hack, I’m going to want to redo it all from scratch afterwards, and if I continue on this route I suspect I’d be embarrassed to release my code at the end of the 7DRL. It doesn’t even look good.

What a mess.

 

I’m considering taking drastic measures – since that “this would be a lot easier if I was using Python/implementing it from scratch” feeling I mentioned previously is still present in force, I may act on it and start over without using T-Engine – probably libtcod using python bindings instead. It will make this more of a 4DRL, but I feel like I’ll be far more productive once I’m not trying to clumsily bludgeon this engine into doing what I want using my middling familiarity with Lua.

It’s not really T-Engine’s fault, though, and I plan to play with it further once I’m not under time pressure and can permit myself the luxury of actually figuring out how it works beneath the hood.

Though I do question why T-Engine includes a bevy of specialized text display modules and not a more abstract one you can create multiple instances of (as you can see in the screenshot, my attempt to copy and repurpose the game log to display the order of NPC actions is being picked up by the log flasher, which was not my intent.)

3 thoughts on “Rogue Tactics – Judgment Day”

  1. obviously like your website but you have to check the spelling on quite a few of your posts. Several of them are rife with spelling issues and I find it very bothersome to tell the truth nevertheless I

  2. LogDisplay class can have as many instances as you want.
    You’re probably trying to route things through a game.log call but that’s just a shorthand to call the default instance of logdisplay, you can have all the instances you wish 🙂

    1. Oops. I did indeed copy game.log, and now that I take a second look at it I somehow failed to notice log.flash was the flasher output routine (and assumed it was something to do with text formatting I suppose,) that would be why everything was showing up in the flasher! That’s just more evidence of my state of mind under a deadline – it is not conducive to working with other people’s code.

Leave a Reply