Actually completed and posted 7 hours ago, but I forgot to announce here!
I’m still in the window – end of challenge for me is a good hour and quarter off still. But last night’s play through showed no crippling bugs – (grammar mistake on victory screen, but I’m not risking a rebuild just to fix that) – so it is done! Yay!
Very happy with the fact I got my automatic tile-smoothing done so things don’t look all square on the overworld. I’m also worried that I found some crippling bugs with the ladder and portcullis puzzles yesterday morning. I did improve my validation scripts and run a few hundred thousand room generation tests, so I’m hopeful everything is cool now.
At 1:00am last night (or I guess technically this morning) I tried to produce this screenshot only to realize my FOV was drastically not symmetrical. And not I don’t mean as in a A sees B but B doesn’t see A. I mean as shadows being lopsided. Very glad I noticed that since the FOV algorithm is an entirely new approach I’m trying. Inspired by https://groups.google.com/d/topic/rec.games.programmer/0Nq-rY3dR4s/discussion I’ve always wanted highly permissive FOVs. I really like the result – complete with two layer transparency. It’s based on an unpublished dominance-matrix system I devised back in the 90’s for my RPG written in Latin, but probably the identical result to Ultima V. I haven’t booted that up to verify, however. Anyways, I’d love to see discussion on that.
Oh yeah! A link!
I hope all the challengers, success or failure, at least had fun and learned something interesting! I know I did.