Swift Swurd post-mortem

On this week’s Roguelike Radio podcast Darren Grey mentioned that it would be interesting to hear from the authors of some of the 7DRL successes, as well as the failures. I had been leaving my game to speak for itself, but I think it does a couple of interesting things, so will say a little bit about them. Mild spoilers, in that some things in the game are slightly mysterious, in what I hope is a fun way — play it!

(Download here, Windows and Linux)

Background

My history with roguelikes is that I’ve messed with Nethack now and then, and more recently played quite a lot of Brogue, and some Dwarf Fortress. I’ve never made one before. Two things have bugged me about them, that I thought I could try to address: bumping into things and watching health bars go down doesn’t feel like fighting (although of course it gets better at deeper levels with more stuff happening), and they trivialize killing.

I started thinking last year about how to do a tile- and turn-based swordfighting game that felt more like a swashbuckling movie, possibly arising from very simple mechanics, like in the old Prince of Persia. Then I played Dark Souls, and thought that I could borrow its mechanic of a recharging stamina bar. I made a mockup:

Since the graphics would be plain ASCII, I wanted another way to spice up the visual presentation, and had the idea of changing the language. Based on vague memories of Robert Louis Stevenson historical novels, and of d’Artagnan being a Gascon, I made the hero a 17th or 18th century Scotsman, with in-game text to suit. I got as far as getting the libtcod tutorial running in Python, then put the idea aside, coming back to it for the 7DRL.

What went right – combat

This achieved the feeling I wanted. Guards retreat and advance as they lose and gain breath, so each fight moves back and forth across the dungeon, making the geometry matter tactically. Facing matters, but doesn’t get in the way when you’re not fighting. The enemies move predictably, but you usually meet them in pairs, which keeps it interesting a bit longer. The pistols give you options if you get overwhelmed (and I’m very happy with the shot effects). You die in one hit, so need to pay attention from the start. The guards are not nameless, and do not drop out of play immediately if they are mortally wounded – you have to fight around them (however a lot of the things I wanted to do with this side of the game got cut).

What went right – language

I thought of time spent on this as equivalent to time spent on graphics, as a way of giving the game some extra flavour. Scots is a descendant of Middle English, very widely spoken in Scotland but terminally unfashionable as a written language for most of the last 300 years. In particular, there’s no standard way of spelling it. The main sources I used were the Dictionary of the Scots Language and Wir Ain Leed. As I understand it, the first of these is a record of Scots as people have (haphazardly) written it, while the second tries to regularize the spelling, as part of creating a written form of the language that people can learn. The first has “swurd” and 11 variants, the second “swuird”.

It works for me at making the game feel richer and a bit different, and I’ve had some positive responses. I hope I didn’t make too many mistakes. During the competition, it occurred to me that it also serves as a version of the roguelike item-identification subgame. Finally, it had the (deliberate) effect of stopping me from writing too much — I wanted to keep to matter-of-fact descriptions of what was happening in the game.

What went right – technology

I used libtcod and Python. I found Python fun and fast to code in once I got going. libtcod is easy to set up, has good documentation, and is simple (from the user’s point of view). It was an enormous help to have the tutorial available as a guide on how to structure the game. My worst technical moments were running into an input bug in libtcod (fixed in newer builds) and spending hours working out how to set up py2exe. So, as these things go, I got off very lightly.

What went wrong

The dungeon is bare. I had planned to make it look more like the mockup, with chairs and bottles to throw, things to trip over, and lighted areas to stay out of. (Although I worked on this a little after the competition, and found that the smaller rooms in the actual game look too cluttered very quickly.) More importantly, I didn’t leave myself time to think properly about the distribution and number of guards in a level, and I suspect that the game is currently much too easy, especially once you have combat figured out. I had plans for more kinds of enemy, dogs and big guards, but they didn’t make it.

I had a story worked out about rescuing a young lady (who would reject you if you had killed people dishonourably) and escaping past your opponents’ ghosts, but this would have been hard to play straight and I felt an enormous relief when I cut it on day five. I put in a replacement (collect three pieces of treasure!) late enough that it doesn’t get explained anywhere.

Overall though, I’m pretty happy with how things turned out, and am looking forward to trying something new next year.

4 thoughts on “Swift Swurd post-mortem”

Leave a Reply