Blackguard: Success

It’s done… for a certain value of ‘done’. I spend the last day of the competition madly cramming in last-minute features and tuning the mechanics to make the game as interesting as possible, given the features that were complete. I also wasted far too long trying in vain to compile a Windows version. Lesson learned, I suppose – sort out your build environments before the competition’s final hours.

blackguard7
Made it

Although I said originally that ‘Blackguard’ was only a working title, I couldn’t come up with anything better, so Blackguard it is. I consider the week a success for the most part. This is the first time I’ve completed a non-trivial game such that it is playable from start to finish and is more-or-less feature complete, so that alone is a victory. However, I feel the biggest benefit from participating in the competition was simply gaining an understanding of all the parts necessary to make a game work, which should make similar future endeavours much easier. That applies to both the actual code, and the process of designing and prioritising features.

You can download the 64-bit Linux build here. Source code is available on Bitbucket.

Post-Competition Update

I finally got around to sorting out a Windows build, which can be downloaded here.

Leave a Reply