Some day 7 musings. I count this release as a success, but I feel it came out a little bland and flat.
The things that went right:
- I scaled the feature set to something that could be done in 7 days.
- The combat mechanic is promising. I do want to try variations on this theme.
- I used a library that I cooked up over the past year, it seemed to stay out of the way.
- The ship looks cool.
Things to improve:
- I wanted some more power progression for the player.
- I needed some procedurally generated content for variety. I envisioned transporting to planets and other ships.
- The combat doesn’t have enough feedback to the player.
This was a great motivating challenge. Perfect has been the enemy of good for me. The 7 day time limit really helped me get past trivial problems and concentrate on being creative. The code really reflects the “get it done” attitude of the week. Being OCD, I hope to take some of the general routines back into a shared library for later projects.
The important thing was that I was able to see some of my ideas come to reality. That is a huge step forward for other projects.
I look forward to seeing all of the dev’s work. It helps to know others were struggling and working hard this week as well.
Here are the hosted binaries: