Well, in the span of 4 hours, I have gone from never having coded a procedural level generation algorithm to implementing a basic level generator from scratch! It required some pain and experimentation, but it works! Lots of room for improvement, but the basic levels are now taking shape. I also some new gameplay features. This is sloooooooowly starting to look like a game! Here’s a video of my latest progress. Enjoy!
- Basic procedural level generation is up and running! I’m especially proud of this, since I’ve never coded a level generator before and I made this one from scratch.
- Enemies can now damage you (leading to the loss of a random ability)! In the video, you can see that once I get hit by an enemy, I lose the ability to either run or fire my weapon. When I lose the ability to attack, I make a run for the computer terminals…
- Enemies can now kill you! Once you lose all of your abilities, one more hit spells “permadeath.”
- Added Computer Terminals. Your goal is to activate all of the computer terminals on a level (or clear it of enemies) to proceed to the next mission.
- Room “themes” are implemented in the tileset, giving a different look to each room.
It’s looking good! I have a lot left to do, but I’m learning a lot and having a ton of fun. I can’t wait to get this game out to other 7DRLers so they can play it and give me some feedback!