Day 3 is at it’s end, and it’s been a troublesome evening. Alan’s version control (git) went haywire and he had to clone the repository again, manually re-inserting his changes. That, of course, being after we already had spent quite some time in shared-screen-mode trying to get Git into a state where it would want to Pull the latest version again. Grumpy old Git. We’re just glad this happened on day 3, and not the upcoming Sunday!
Being a family man, my evening also largely went towards family duties, leaving me with only a couple hours of effective work today. I worked a little bit on the graphical style of our ascii, added background coloring per tile and some scenic touches of sprites/textures mixed with the ascii. It’s fun to experiment with styles like this. The good thing with ascii is how informative it is; perfect in a game that’s all about your tactical decisions each turn. But as we’re going for a rather strong scenic immersion with the descriptive texts, it felt right to put in a few more graphical elements to sell the “view”. We’ll refine it all at the end if there’s time for a polish phase!
I also got a little work started on items, building on the entity system I did yesterday. I’ll focus keenly on that for Day 4!
Alan Charlesworth actually recorded himself playing what we currently have in his latest vlog entry, and explain some of our design ideas. As always, he covers his day’s progress on camera!
Follow us and watch Alan thread down this road to ruin on YouTube in true roguelike fashion as we try to make a game in seven days!
Previous reports from Void Sanctum, 7DRL 2015: