I’ve been meaning to make a proper roguelike for a while.
I traditionally use Gamemaker for projects (I have been for nearly 9 years), but it’s not the best program for the kind of light, graphically stripped down game that roguelikes usually are. I always wanted to use ASCII graphics, but with GM, using ASCII would be literally more trouble than using sprites, which somewhat defeats the purpose.
When one of the people I follow on twitter mentioned 7DRL, I thought it a great change to finally make one of these. I wasn’t without apprehension however. I’ve done many 72 and 48 hour jams in the past, but 7 days is in a way more difficult, because you have to maintain interest and not get burned out over a time period two or three times as long. I tried 7DFPS last year, but came out with little more than the 3D collision engine I’d come in with.
I mentioned in a tweet that I would bet $50 I’d lose motivation and give up. Well, I owe myself $50, because not only did I finish, I could have worked for another few days as well. There’s just so much to add that I didn’t get a chance too. I had grand plans for an epic final challenge at the Canadian border, special items with unique properties, and a much larger item pool. Time, however, is a cruel mistress.
While I’m here, I’ll just plug my game. It was made mostly in a weird stress-induced haze, and it includes many bugs, but it’s done, and I’m proud of it. Go play it now if you like.
In the end, I had a lot of fun, and I made a game that I’m pretty happy with. If I have the time, I’ll see you all next year!