Today I implemented the basics of gameplay, including player movement, enemy spawning and basic AI. Enemies can now chase you around the web and you can kill each other. Even in a rudimentary state, the web geometry throws up some interesting situations. When playtesting I ended up almost completely surrounded by enemies and would have been totally doomed on a regular grid, but managed to save myself by cutting across the centre of the web, which broke up the pattern of chasing enemies and let me take them out one by one.
I put the ASCII characters in there just as placeholders at first, but since I quite like how it looks and don’t have any better art direction in mind I may just keep it. The next five days will therefore probably be spent choosing a font.