I decided that as CoD wasn’t going to be on the scale I had envisioned, I would, against all common sense, change the UI from ncurses to something more graphical like SFML I have never used SFML before.
So that went about as well as you would expect. One good thing is that I discovered my architecture is sound. All I had to do is change the render and input systems to use SFML and the Appearance component to use a sprite instead of an ASCII character. (There would be a screenshot here but I can’t seem to upload it to WordPress for some reason I am too tired to figure out right now. Maybe tomorrow.) Fixing the bugs caused due to my lack of experience with the library took a lot of time but I got it done in the end.
Nevertheless, on a scale of 0 to 10 where 0 is resounding failure and 10 is smashing success I’d have to give the game in its current state a 4 and therefore I’m considering it a fail. The game is basically playable (albeit very boring) it has the essential features of a roguelike such as procedural generation, character progression (barely), and permadeath but I did not achieve my personal goals and it will need some cleanup before I dare show the code to the outside world.