If you enjoyed my 2014 7DRL, “Beware of Strange Warp Points”, you’ll be glad to hear that development has been continuing – a friend of mine from the Space Empires community stepped up to fix some bugs and add a few neat features, and that prompted me do do some more work on the game myself!
So what will you find thus far?
- Fixed bug causing repeated colonization of planets using long range sensors.
- Added shield regenerator components.
- Fixed bug causing enemy ships to move at the player’s speed. Watch out for those scouts!
- Added mineral planets (they’re the best!) from which you can gain small amounts of resources.
- Missiles that are shot down are now described as being shot down, instead of missing.
- The game now ends properly when you win.
- Fixed bug causing ships destroyed by losing both crew and engines simultaneously to grant double salvage.
- Log messages now appear in the proper order (not reversed).
- Log messages are now colored depending on what happens (generally, blue = good, cyan = very good, yellow = bad, red = very bad, white = neutral)
- Log messages turn gray after you take your next turn, instead of disappearing. (They still disappear after 25 of them accumulate, though.)
You can download the C# source code here:
We haven’t yet put together a v1.1 build, so you’ll need Visual Studio (2012 or higher; there is a free Express version) or MonoDevelop to build it.
So I completely my 7DRL today! You can download it from my Bitbucket repo as either binary (in the Download section) or C# source (using Mercurial). You’ll need the .NET framework installed to play – Windows XP users, download version 4.0; Linux/Mac users, use Mono (though I haven’t tested it on Mono yet).
Here’s a screenshot to whet your appetite:
Hi everyone, Ed here! Once again I’ll be participating in the 7DRL challenge, but like last year, I won’t be posting individual progress updates on this blog. So if anyone wants to follow the progress of my roguelike (titled “Beware of Strange Warp Points”), point your browser here:
I guess I should probably try and whet your appetite, though! So BOSWP, as I’ll call it, is a space themed roguelike similar to Jo’s KlingonRL from 2013. This one is set in the universe of the Space Empires 4X games, though, instead of that of Star Trek. You’ll be tasked with repelling an alien invasion, and you can customize your ship with various weapons, engines, shields, and other components, purchased using mineral resources you will find left behind by defeated enemies, or given to you as tribute by allied colonies.
Hmm… I signed in here to write a comment on someone’s post, and for some reason as soon as I log in I’m taken to an admin console… Huh? Who made me an admin here? Will one of the real admins please explain what’s going on?
So all I got done was a grid of @ symbols on a Silverlight page… Sorry about that! By way of explanation, I didn’t really think I’d have the time to finish this, but I also didn’t expect a chaotic week at work draining all my enthusiasm for development! I’ve been almost dreading coming back to this blog to see what awesome things everyone else has come up with, when all I have is a grid of @’s… but hey, I can always try again next year, or make an out-of-challenge 7drl when I do have a spare week, or even pick up where I left off with Into the Darkness… after all, if you hadn’t figured it out from my announcement post, my 7drl was supposed to be themed around Christianity, and Christianity is all about second chances! 🙂
By the way, my mom posted on Facebook something about picking NCAA tournament teams by “alphabetical primacy”, and I thought about that for a minute… hey, wouldn’t “Alphabetical Primacy” be an awesome name for a roguelike??? 😀 Kinda generic sounding, like “World Supremacy” or “Galactic Civilizations”, but I don’t think anyone has used “Alphabetical Primacy” yet!
So I got a screen full of @ signs… hooray 😛
Then I got distracted and started playing Dragon Quest VI (awesome game btw), and then working on Star Legacy (the 4X game that I’ve been involved in developing, but haven’t had much time for what with my new job)…
And now someone at my church says the website needs updating, and I volunteered to help with that…
I somehow doubt this roguelike will get far, at least within the timeframe of the challenge… 🙁
In case anyone wants to follow my progress or suggest improvements…
Also, I needed a backup location and source control in case I screw anything up and need to revert! 😉