120 Hours down, there’s a bit more flesh on the bones, including six different enemy types, ten item types and a boss:
The only major gameplay system still needing to be implemented is the ability to upgrade your ship between levels, although I still have a tonne of other little things that also need to be done before I can call it a finished game. I have a full day today plus a few hours I might be able to sneak in around pretending to be a normal human being tomorrow, which should hopefully be enough, but my ‘stuff to do’ list keeps getting longer the more I think about it, so we’ll see!
It’s starting to resemble a bit more closely the idea I had in my head when I started:
The game is now fully 3D. It’s a bit more confusing than the purely 2D mode but it does provide some more depth, figuratively as well as literally. To help the player out I’ve given them a ‘proximity alert’ system that highlights in the HUD the tiles which will have bullets/asteroids/enemies/explosions etc. passing through next turn – the red squares in the image above. The object of the game is very simple – don’t be in one of those squares!
After three days of work, the interface is now slightly more fleshed-out:
From left-to-right we have:
– Top-down ‘radar’ view.
– 3D view (experimental at the moment, and currently still constrained to a flat plane – may try with ‘proper’ 3D movement as well tomorrow).
– Sidebar. The three bars at the top show your weapon power, shield charge and fuel. Below that you have three buttons that control your power distribution; you can direct power into one of those three things for passive bonuses. Below that are the inventory slots.
I’m likely to be busy with other things on Sunday, so this is effectively the half-way mark for me. I’m quite happy with progress so far but there’s a hell of a lot more still to be done.
After 48 hours, it still doesn’t look like much:
But, I now have the fundamental framework of all the major game systems in place, and it’s already fairly fun to play, if a little lacking in challenge at the moment. Soon fix that, though!
Next main objectives are HUD, inventory and picking up items. Once that’s done, I’m going to spend half a day experimenting with a behind-the-ship 3D view. If that’s fun, the top-down view shown above will be kept on one side of the screen as your ‘radar’ to make judging distances easier. Otherwise, I’ll rework the top-down view with some better graphics.
After 1 day (16 hours, to be exact, but I’m going to bed now), this is what I have:
It doesn’t look like much, but the core is there; things can move, things can shoot other things at a third type of thing until that thing stops existing and so on. Tomorrow I’ll put in some enemies that can move and shoot on their own and then we’ll have a game on our hands.
I’m starting a little late because I flew back home from Hong Kong to London last night (hooray for jetlag!), so I’ve got some catching up to do but we’ll see how it goes.
The idea behind Space Hellion (I might drop the ‘Space’) is to make a roguelike (a proper one) that is also a bullet-hell space shooter. It’ll be turn-based and grid-based, with your craft constantly moving forward one space per turn. Your bullets and enemy bullets will (normally) move two spaces per turn, so you’ll need to plan your moves carefully to shoot down enemies while avoiding their fire.
I’d like to make it a 3D behind-view Starfox-y kinda thing, where your grid is on the screen and enemies come at you through the ‘floor’, but that may make it too difficult to judge distances so I’m going to work on a simple top-down version first and get that working before I introduce the third dimension.
Stuff I’m starting from:
- My own bare-bones Java game engine assembled from chunks of my previous 7DRLs and other aborted projects.
- SPARTAN, which I’ll be using to make some tiles (if I need them).
- I have one or two old sprites that I might re-use, but the vast majority of the art will have to be made during the week.
- Some sketchy notes on story and setting, which I may or may not include.
I guess we’ll find out whether I’ve actually learned the lessons last year taught me…
I’ve just released a post-challenge update to 7DArrrL which fixes a few bugs and makes some minor tweaks to things which were bugging me.