Only a little more than a day to go. The greatest of today’s achievements is pictured below: a title screen / main menu.
Now that there is a menu where some choices can be made (namely controller and 1 or 2 players), I’ve reintroduced gamepad support and local co-op. I got them somewhat working already at the very beginning, but they were disabled for several days and required some fixing.
The picture also illustrates the background story and goal of the game. It’s rather trivial, but I need to keep the scope narrow if I want to complete this in time.
Still on TODO:
Implement win condition
More enemy types
Make golems differ more
Enemies should drop loot
More interesting and variable environment
Finding and processing 3d assets has been the nastiest part in making this game – and I still have some of it ahead of me. I miss ASCII.
I didn’t write a 7DRL update yesterday, because not much changed on the surface, so the screenshot would have been basically the same as before. But anyway, here’s the outline of things I’ve achieved in the past two days:
Gameplay changed to turn-based
In-world hit messages
Game over / death screen
Some sidebar functionality
3d model for enemies and player
Basic item collecting system, currently only health potions
Basic combat system with some stats affecting it
I’ve decided I won’t be bothering with animated mobs, static models shall suffice. I’m currently thinking the player can choose between ~3 golems with a bit different stats and then embark on a quest to vanquish an undead horde while collecting magical gems to enhance stats. Or something. It’s kind of worrying that my overall game design is still wide open and I only got about 2,5 days left. Luckily a game starts to emerge nevertheless.
I have been struggling with what should I create, ideas ranging from making 2.0 versions for pretty much all my previous 7DRLs, to new stuff such as espionage or pirate themed stuff. However, the thing I most wanted to get back to was playing with 3d stuff and as I’m not an artist by any stretch, I need to design in terms of what assets are freely available to me. As such, I’m going to go with the traditional approach of medieval / fantasy setting.
My 7DRL 2011, A Little Anxious When It’s Dark, was also a WebGL game, but it didn’t use Three.js and WebGL was in its infancy back then. Nevertheless, I don’t just want to create a remake, so with this new game, I’ve started with an “overworld” wilderness as pictured below. My tentative plan is to add castles and caves for the player to discover and loot. I’m also playing with the idea of turn-based local multiplayer co-op.
I started coding my entry at Saturday 1pm my time, but unfortunately I’ve been away most of the weekend, so not much progress has been made. I’m hopeful that I can catch up during the week though.
This year, there is also Procedural Death Jam running concurrently. I’m actually not yet certain if my entry will be a full roguelike, but as I’ve started it with more traditional design than some of my ideas, I’m going to see where the game takes me and decide later.
There’s now an inventory and some functional items
The item system is beautiful: adding new ones is simply setting the properties for a prototype and it will then automatically show in the UI with a key help if the player has it and is able to use it currently.
Combat system is vastly improved, but still not good enough
Experience system with beginnings of character attributes and level-up screen
Buy menu: no shops yet but the menu is mostly working
Past two days I haven’t been coding as much as I’d hoped, but I have still made some progress. Since day 1, the most visible addition is the UI (pictured below), which features some stats and weapons. It’s functional, although you can’t yet buy weapons, so the inventory is hard-coded.
Another important addition is enemies and combat. It’s still very primitive and being ranged instead of melee brings a whole lot of issues that need thinking. However, it is now possible to kill bandits and die yourself.
Other things include some cosmetic changes and adding furniture to the houses (needs improvement though, and there aren’t any special places like a saloon yet). At some point I thought of actually using one of my previous 7DRLs, City of the Condemned (C++) as a starting point when I realized the town generator is going to need a whole lot of stuff that’s already in CotC. However, being playable in web browser and not particularly liking CotC’s generator code (the output I find very nice though) tipped the scale to Unicodetiles.js.
My plan for next is improve the combat mechanics and start adding important shops like a doctor’s office and a gun store. However, as I’m not a huge fan of menus, I might need to think about the implementation a bit.