You’ve launched an assault against an rival wizard’s tower. The two of you stand toe to toe, locked in combat. Claim territory and pool magic, then fire off spells and summon monsters in order to defeat your enemy.
The game can almost entirely be played using the keyboard or the mouse. ( i forgot include a way to walk using just the keyboard. Luckily, it should be seldom used action)
- WASD to move.
- Q to exit a menu /dialogue window
- CLICK on a grid space to open details/action menu for that space.
- E to switch to cursor mode, then WASD to navigate the cursor around the map;
- SPACE open details/action menu about the currently selected space
Open your character’s details/actions menu to get a list of spells you can currently use.
First tip, try not to walk anywhere. You can jump (teleport) around the map for free, which also claims territory. Claimed spaces cost less for you to jump to, and prevent/reduce the enemy’s ability to attack you.
Second tip, you can perform more than one action per turn. There are three types of actions: minor, major, and full. You can perform any 2 minor actions on one turn. Performing a major action will end your turn, but can be done after a minor action. Performing a full action will end your turn and cannot be done after a minor action. The following is a list of action sequences possible in a single turn.
- minor, minor
- minor, major
On your HUD, next to the turn counter you will see ’00’ if you haven’t taken an action so far this turn and ‘ 0-‘ if you’ve performed a minor action already this turn. Certain action’s cost changes based on context, if this case the menu will show -m or -M for minor or major respectively. Walking is a minor action. Spells are major actions.
Third tip, start a bunch of pools so you’ll have a reserve of magic to draw from. When you first create a pool, it will be arcane typed and contain one charge. Each turn every pool gains one charge. You can convert an arcane pool into another element, but it will reduce the pool’s charge by 1. Once you have a built up a pool you can tap it, and use the charges in the pool to cast spells/summon monsters. At the start of a game you are assigned a random primary element, either fire, water, or plant. You then have access to 2 sub-elements based, based on your primary element. They are determined by taking the sub-element to left and right of your primary element in the following sequence:
- –> fire –> (acid) –> water –> (ice) –> plant –> (earth) –>
Each element has 3 spells, and one summon. Summons convert the pool into the summon creature. Spells vary in their range, attack pattern and effects which include: damaging enemies, claiming spaces, leaving behind items, and reducing an enemy’s claim.
Here is a link to the 7DRL version: http://www.crabpotgames.com/p/knockdowndragout.html
Link to a version I intend to update: http://www.crabpotgames.com/p/kddo.html
Known code bugs:
- Summoning a snowman crashes the game (incorrectly named function)
- When your element is fire, the proper sub-elements are not choosen
- Occasional crash on enemy death
Known game logic bugs:
- More a deficiency, than a bug: the AI for the enemy wizard is too simplistic and too random. I really ran out of time to refine this area.
- You can create a pool in enemy territory
- Enemy can jump into your territory