Fully Legitimate Excavator Of Historical Sites, I Swear (after 2 days)

It’s about two days since I started work on FLEOHSIS (github). I’ve been mostly working on interface code the past two days (making the display data-driven, using the observer pattern to keep it updated). I pledged not to spend 6 days writing engine code this year, so it’s time to start implementing gameplay features. First: defense and attack abilities on health cards!

Things that worked well since the last report:

  • Relaxing dark colour schemes for Jupyter notebooks.
  • obsub. What a lovely library.
  • BearLibTerminal always looks great. Probably because it has TrueType fonts and no tutorials telling people to use clown vomit colours for everything.
  • euclid3 is a nice lightweight library with 2D vectors that behave in sensible ways. Apart from its __repr__ function, which thinks everything needs a decimal point. And the Vector2 class name, which needs a capital V to tab-complete. Both easily fixed with monkey patches.
  • Bits of code that I ripped out of last year’s 7DRL.

Things that didn’t work so well:

  • mypy is a nice idea, but I like namedtuples, I like default arguments, and I like to write code full of namedtuples with default arguments, and Python’s type hinting facilities just can’t handle them. Not until Python 3.6.1, which is scheduled for release a week after the end of the challenge.
  • BearLibTerminal’s documentation isn’t quite in sync with its features, so I spent an hour or two bashing my head against the change in how to specify text wrapping bounds.

Settler end of day 3

End of Day 3. Did a lot of data structures and stuff today. Also resources are placed, tile yields are worked out. You can toggle resources being displayed and all tile yields. Default is resources on and yields off because yields for every square is a bit much. Also each tile’s yield shows on mouseover anyway. Barbarian camps and citadel (like boss city) are placed and also city states, which basically exist to sell your resources to, via traders.

Couldn’t be bothered writing a text input control so had to make a list of city names which was fun at least.

(BTW Is it just me or is 7drl.org not being posted to as much this year?)

“Space Explorer” – Day 3

I have wanted to do a 7DRL for years now. Every year the challenge comes around, and I have some other commitment keeping me from participating. This year, I have finally decided to go for it and put together my own roguelike!

I’ve been working on Space Explorer for almost 3 days now, since I started on Saturday. In case it isn’t painfully obvious from the name, the core idea for Space Explorer revolves around exploring space. You get paid for completing research and unlocking various discoveries. All you have to worry about is making enough money to keep the lights on (and the life support… that’s pretty important too). All this would be easy if it weren’t for “encounters”… which is sci-fi speak for when weird space things try to kill you and your crew.

Here is a screenshot of what I have so far:

Space Explorer – D3

I have star system generation, movement, scanning for research, and an equipment/inventory system. The big, scary missing piece is the encounter system… that should be up and running early tomorrow.

Thanks for checking out my game! I am looking forward to seeing and playing everyone’s awesome 7DRLs in the coming weeks.

Jeremy (feudant.com)

Gardening Roguelike ~ Day 1

Hi!

I’ve always been scared to do 7drl because it really looks like quite the challenge but this time I’m going for it!

I’ve been wanting to do a game centered around gardening for a while so I’m taking the occasion!

I’m making the game with Pico-8 and its restrictions. (128×128 screen, 16 colors, memory and RAM limits…) The game will be playable in a browser.

Here’s what I have so far!

making tiny tiles is my jam
~ Day 1 ~

As you can see, item system and inventory are operational, I have some hoe-and-watering-can action, a bunch of tiny tiles and sprites have been made along with idle and run animations for the player, plus some placeholder plants!

I know it doesn’t look like a roguelike yet, but tomorrow imma add dungeon generation and that should feel better! 😀

Have fun everyone!

The Abyss of Souls – Day 2

Day 2 sees the game starting to shape up, with saving and loading implemented, and hordes of monsters roaming about to make your day miserable.

 

Level generation I am doing via a ‘generation grammar’ system, which is a series of rules that are run to subdivide the level space, then fill it with stuff. For example you can split the level in to 3 parts, fill the middle with water and the edges with dirt and you have a river. This quickly balloons in complexity, as you can see in the following image of the grammar for the first level:

Luckily I have access to a powerful tool I wrote to handle this for me, otherwise this approach would be impossible!

 

More pictures of the first level:

Day 2 done, day 3 will be focused on making some more levels to explore, and hooking them together.

Pirates of Rogue Basin – Day 1

As Day 1 draws to a close, I’m feeling pretty good. In place are world generation, basic UI bits for game mode, basic City, Ship, and Captain classes.

I finished all I’d planned for the first 24 hours about 2 hours early. That time will come in handy when I remember the countless things I didn’t account for in my planning.

World Generation/preview:

Intro / select your home Port:

and the main Game UI:

The captain’s log is in place, with a scrollable version of the world map.

Day 2 will bring navigation, fog of war/exploration, and some detailed information about the cities on the map screen.