Title screen done. Map gen done. I could spend the rest of the week tweaking the map gen and fixing various things but eh, it’ll do.
Still on course to finish in time but who knows…
What a day! I did way more than I planned on doing.
As the name suggests, this year I’m focusing on combos and regretting past choices that are not available now because of your past hubris.
Combo-wise, you can bump to attack for 1 damage, or chose a combo for much more damage and other effects. You have a set of Powers that mostly determine the strength of your combo (+6, +4 & poison, +2 & fire, etc), a set of Effects that mostly determine the minor effects of your combo (fire, x2 power, swap places, etc), and a set of Actions that mostly determine the shape of your combo (circular attack, cross attack, summon, etc). Chose one of each to make a combo.
Regret-wise, anything used in a combo becomes unavailable until you use all your combos. So a “x2 fire” effect would be perfect right now, but you used it 2 turns ago so all you’re left with is a “+2” effect.
Also, You can play with the mouse or keyboard.
I also added basic races (humans add nothing, lizardfolk add poison, fairies add magic) and classes (elementalists add fire, earth, water, & air effects; gladiators add more combat actions, shadow mages add more sneaky and random actions). I’m sure the details are going to change a lot over the next few days but the basics are there.
Overall, an excellent day.
Whipped up a system so I could create arbitrary chunks with arbitrary connections for a Diablo-like, snap-together mapgen system for Slashcards. It was a tricky bit of linear algebra to test if the bounding box of a chunk translated and rotated by potential joint connections would intersect with existing chunks. Below, red boxes are failed checks.
Check out the super naive demo:
For 7DRL 2017 I’m going to try something which has been in my ideas file for a few years: a card-based health system where each health card gives you different abilities depending on whether it’s healthy or damaged.
You control the order in which normal enemy attacks damage your health cards, so you can influence how your abilities change as your health changes.
On the other hand, different types of attacks might affect health cards in a different order. You can use this to disable enemies quickly, but enemies with special attacks could likewise subvert your sequence of health cards.
I’m going to be taking some inspiration from deckbuilding board games to restrict how players can customise their health card loadout.
I’ll be using Python 3 and BearLibTerminal for display, and Wangscape to generate terrain tilesets. My piano’s getting tuned on
Tunesday Tuesday, so I might record a piece or two for background music.
The focus is on interesting mechanics rather than a unique theme, so I’ve called it Fully Legitimate Excavator Of Historical Sites, I Swear.
Announcing my 2017 entry for the competition – Pirate of Rogue Basin. You play the role of a young sea captain, recently granted a Letter of Marque from the King. There has been a dramatic increase in Pirate activity throughout the basin, your goal, earn enough gold to outfit yourself with enough naval firepower to eliminate the threat.
Buy and Sell goods throughout the procedurally generated world. Learn of shortages/surpluses of goods by exchanging news with other sea captains (assuming you’re reputation isn’t too tarnished), drinking in taverns.
Upgrade your ship at shipyards, throughout the basin, and use it to confront the pirates found harassing the nearby towns and cities.
Start Time – 23:21 UTC Sunday, March 5
In 2005, one of my very first programming projects was an ASCII-based pseudo-3d C# (as in C# 1.0) language-learning roguelike. Years later, I took another crack at the project — a 2010 effort I called “Slashcards“. This one was for iOS, and featured a voxel characters and world. I’ll dig up some screenshots for the post-mortem.
(Suffice it to say, the wheels eventually fell off both of these projects.)
Since then I’ve grown and learned a lot, both in building games and building educational experiences. I’ve given myself this week (7DRL17) to take another crack at the project.
Here’s hoping the variety and depth of roguelike gameplay can work well with the variety and depth required for gaining language mastery.
Day 1 consisted of getting up a placeholder character with some basic movement; building a test environment for walking and climbing stairs; a mob that chases you; modeling and rigging up some props for UI purposes; prototyping the first combat question/response mechanic; painting up some basic landscape textures; a bunch of sharpie-printer paper sketches; and sketches for the architecture of language expertise tracking.
Not much to look at so far, but hopefully the contrast will be all the greater with the final result!
I’ve failed to finish the last couple 7DRLs. Here’s hoping I can finally make it through one!
Ideas/thoughts/questions to @bigblueboo or firstname.lastname@example.org — see you throughout the week —