Glyph: Day Five

A few hours ago marks the end of my 5th day of working on Glyph. Time flies when you’re having fun! Unfortunately, I am very much not having fun fighting uphill against Swing. I’ve (re-)implemented my graphics three times to no avail, and every moment has been a new lesson in agony.

However, fourth time’s apparently a charm:

Screenshot of Glyph at the end of day 5.

Isn’t it gorgeous?!

Unfortunately, I’ve spent so much time on the UI that I’ve fallen behind on making the game. I will probably have to sacrifice some gameplay features that I had planned on… we’ll see how much I can get done tonight, I guess.

I did write some in-game text last night when I got frustrated. I got up to 1600 words before I went to bed – about half of it is environmental text, and the other half is dialogue. Glyph is going to have a lot in common with text adventure games, and there will be a bunch of secrets in the game that will mostly just provide flavor/story rather than items.

Day 5: Mostly fixing stuff

I’ve tweaked the shaders to work better on crappier GPUs, but unfortunately that still doesn’t fix it for everybody. 🙁

The rest of day has passed fixing and tweaking stuff, nothing terribly interesting, but at least now the monsters attack the player by choice. Perhaps the most visible new feature is the messaging system shown left in the screenshot below.

Current interface
Current interface

Gourmancer, Day 4

Or : How I learned to stop worrying and love Copy+Paste.

My current codebase is a bit of a Frankenstein’s monster, but it works reasonably well and all the basic roguelike stuff is there : random dungeons, monsters, items, rudimentary but functional AI and pretty much the entire combat system.

Exciting, isn't it?

Not shown are randomly generated “special rooms” (since they only appear later in the dungeon) or the inventory system. (ed. or any of the other 15 monsters)

I decided to go with a simple damage system instead of my original idea of D&D dice rolls, so we get 8 damage instead of 2d6+1. Hopefully it doesn’t hurt the roguelikeness of my game.

Next step is to finally insert the gimmick of cooking monsters, add an ending to the game, then it’s all polish and balancing.

Good evening and good coding. 😉

Stygia: End of Day 3

Slow-going today (see my updates here), but here’s a pretty screenshot to keep your interest up, showing an independent lightsource, other than the @’s torch:

Tomorrow I hope to finish items/inventory handling*, and start work on creatures that you can kill and take their stuff!

*I’ve previously developed an algorithm (on paper) that can give each item a reasonably intelligible but randomly-generated fluff description such as:

This ruby-encrusted spear was formerly the prized weapon of JoeBloggs the Hero of Xyzzy. He used it mainly in the war 600 years ago against the Goblins of Zzyyyzzzy. He fell in battle against Bob the Goblin Chief and the weapon was subsequently lost. What it was doing in the hands of a common goblin you have no idea.

Hopefully I’ll get it coded and setup as part of the 7DRL!

 

Day 3 in the Oubliette

Very slow day today, not much done, movement is working right but some walls don’t show up where they should and are still not shaded (see screenshot.) I need to get this working quickly tomorrow so that I can add the fun game stuff and improve the dungeon generation. I have added a 2D view on top of the 3D view to verify the correctness of the display; this might come back at some point in the game: for instance, a potion could give an overview of the world, or something like that.

And I have a title and a theme: you are thrown into the Oubliette. And you need to get out.

EDIT: Also, note that the keys in the corner are buttons that you press on the ipad; I’m still not quite sure how to deal with key bindings for movement. The left/right arrows are for turning, but I may want to keep the Dungeon Master moveset.

Pitman – third day, still alive

So, not only the @ is walking, but also some of the monsters! And they are attacking, too! Jana worked on some decoration objects the last day which will make the dungeons more interesting.

Of course, the whole game logic is still missing – use of the skills, leveling, inventory/items, magic, etc. Hopefully the last three days will be productive! (Yes, only three, because RealLife shows its ugly head on friday, when we attend a weekly training course for startups.)

You can test the current state on Dropbox. It only features two enemies and nothing more, but you can also extent the dungeon if you place the main character at the border of a card.

Legend of the Cheese Golem, day 4

Progress could be a lot better but I’ve done a lot considering how long I’ve had to spend on it. Real life and all that.

All the basic code for walking around/blocking/fov etc. is there. The client/server stuff for c# at the back and javascript at the front is there but slightly broken at the moment so working with the standard console version.

World is generating, saving/loading etc. Not so much to do now there.

Forest is generated using perlin noise:

Which gives me a map vaguely like this (only forest, mountains and a path so far):

A slightly older screenshot which includes rivers:

Anyway, I’m behind my plan but I’m still moderately confident of finishing, albeit without the level of polish I’d like 🙂