I’ve tweaked the shaders to work better on crappier GPUs, but unfortunately that still doesn’t fix it for everybody. 🙁
The rest of day has passed fixing and tweaking stuff, nothing terribly interesting, but at least now the monsters attack the player by choice. Perhaps the most visible new feature is the messaging system shown left in the screenshot below.
Today I’ve managed to add different enemies and simple combat (it is possible to kill monsters and also die) and torch/item management (torch can be toggled on/off, it will only last 60 seconds after which it will automatically go off; there are limited supply of torches, but some can be picked up around the dungeon). These new features are a bit preliminary and quite hacky/messy, but it’s progress. I’ve also added some UI elements around the game canvas using HTML and CSS.
In addition to working on the gameplay, I added a pretty useless and crazy, but fun feature: You can press ‘l’ to “look around” – in first person mode, lol. See pic below. Note that the actual gameplay is still top-down.
First-person look-around mode
Now I really need to come up with a name – suggestions welcomed.
If you want to take it for a test drive, guide your browser here.
I have now begun to work on the sounds of Kepler-10b. I’ve made a few subroutines that play multiple sounds at once, fading in and out.. ambience, music, etc. All of these routines were ported from Plains of Sedia (my main project.) So fortunately for me, today won’t be ridden by programming endless code, but by creating, editing, and saving numerous sounds and music that will allow Kepler-10b to engulf it’s players in a more believable atmosphere.
Currently most of the sound editing is created through FL (Fruity Loops) with sound samples from various open source media archives and personal alike. The sounds are processed and squeezed through Adobe Audition with filters and time constraints to ensure the sizes don’t get too outrageous for a Roguelike. I don’t think anybody would want to download 100+mb RL where 99.9% of the data is all music…
I hope everyones projects are meeting success as the week dredges on. I look forward to playing many RL’s for the weeks following the competition.
It seems a couple of people I have demonstrated my WIP WebGL-based 7drl have had trouble running later versions of it, so I decided to ask you guys to see if it works for you. The game is played inside a web browser and requires WebGL support (but not any plugins), so you need a rather new browser (e.g. Google Chrome 10 or recent beta of Firefox 4 – IE won’t work). Also, your graphics card needs to be at least OpenGL 2 capable (with decent drivers) for WebGL to work.
So, my 3rd day isn’t over yet, but I thought I’d post an update already. I have managed to add some variance to the previously straight and boring walls. It’s not much, but certainly an improvement already. I cannot add infinite details as my polygon count and level generation time starts to rise to uncomfortable levels – the whole level is currently naïvely implemented as a single largish static mesh. Already previously I extended the walls beyond the camera, so it looks like the roof is very high. I kind of like this and it also has the nice side effect of letting me completely ignore LOS/FOV calculations and complex OpenGL shadowing.
In other news, the first steps towards actual gameplay are taken, as I implemented dummy randomly moving enemies and grid-based movement (previously pixel-based). Graphics still need tweaking, but I think I’m going to sideline that stuff for a while and do more in the content side.
Hi guys, my name is Quick Fingers and this is my first attempt at making a game of this genre 🙂 I like the RogueLike game type but have never attempted to make a game like this before. This is my first challenge as a full time Indie developer as well! So super psyched to make something cool 🙂 I started on Saturday so I’m 2 days in so far and just writing this after finishing a 14 hour session… As usual when I work on projects I don’t have a set list of goals I just let creativity lead the way and do whatever it is my brain wants to at the time. That’s why I’ve done things like some music and an intro, but haven’t got the generative world in place. I’ve spent the best part on trying to establish a mood that I am happy with. Which is why music and sound was important.
My second day was mostly spent on trying to make normal mapping work in my WebGL 7drl. I finally managed to do that, but it took too much time for me to be completely happy and there still remains some tweaking. However, I did have time for something else apart from making the walls bumpy. I now have an actual dungeon generator instead of a hard-coded level, but it still needs a lot of work. Other notable things concern lights: they now pulsate slightly (not yet a satisfactory torch effect though) and the engine is now able to handle arbitrary number of them (the closest ones are determined and passed to the shaders).
Tomorrow I hope I can improve the map generator and also the actual visible wall geometry. I might also add some simple monsters.