Well, there are lots of features I wanted that aren’t in it. But it’s playable, it’s very coffeebreaky, it can be very challenging, and it’s very prone to killing you just when you think you’ve won. Don’t let them get too close. Run away often. Use your explosives wisely.
I guess it turns out a worthwhile roguelike doesn’t have to have remote controlled brain slices.
Comments, feedback, bug reports, particularly along the lines of “Add in-game help as a bugfix or I refuse to play” can be posted here, or sent to quendus at google’s email domain. I’ll post to the newsgroup soonish.
Prerelease version. With 11 hours to go, any bug reports, complaints, flames, appreciation, comments, whatever would be appreciated. In particular, is there enough information in the interface to address the concerns previously expressed in comments?
Lots of progress. Scent generators do their jobs (when set on a timer), there’s a lot more information in the interface, the sound system is almost working (at the moment you can only hear explosions), holograms are almost working, monster info is displayed in a crude manner, and for the memory system to work I just have to hide the bits that are unknown. Messages and other big wodges of text behave nicely, there’s a speed system, both player and monsters can run, subject to the constraints of stamina (and running speed decreases as stamina is depleted). Screenshot and second prerelease will appear sometime-ish.
gradated sensitivity to scent for monsters
correct sound sensitivity (explosions make you deaf for too long, footsteps are inaudible)
critical hit system
option to pick up/put down/hide/activate/configure items (at the moment only throwing works)
Winning is now a bit too easy, because high explosives kill things very reliably. I’ll crank up the monster spawn rate when all the player’s nice toys are implemented.
It’s playable, it’s winnable, it’s losable. There are invisible explosions. There are also lots and lots of missing features. But any bug reports or complaints or recommendations would be appreciated! I’m particularly interested in how fast you move when you hold a key down, because scent maps take a lot of processing and some of the intended features will require more scent maps.
Long messages and descriptive text don’t behave nicely
On my monitor, blue on black is really difficult to read (any suggestions for alternative colour schemes?
Memory is not bounded by number of monsters and items that exist, but by number of monsters and items that have existed in that run. I die or win before this becomes a problem, and the number of corpses you can make is bounded by your finite ammunition.
It is not fun to have to inspect a monster by targeting it and pressing ‘i’ to find out how dangerous it is.
Explosions are implemented but buggy, monsters can follow your scent, monsters spawn, you start in a ship, tab targets a visible monster, the objective (which I haven’t written down yet) is almost accomplishable but not quite with the present equipment (I tend to die with the exit in sight), and I’m marginally less hamstertastic than yesterday.
Urgh. There were some issues with a drill and some anaesthetic and I spent yesterday evening unable to concentrate on coding. So, little progress again. Things can be thrown, set to activate on a timer, and registered to the remote control but not activated using it. Hopefully today will be more productive, since I have an excuse to sit around all day. Hamstertastic.
It feels like my enthusiasm is starting to wear thin.
I didn’t do that much yesterday. Mostly, I added world tile encounters, with custom instances being spawned. The setting is supposed to be post-collapse of society, along the lines of Road Warrior, Mad Max and Autoduel (a game I only saw in passing on someone’s Apple and never played).. But I’ve been winging it so far, and day 1 was pretty much spent doing the Python libtcod tutorial.
Current to-do list:
Make the encounter dialog in the screenshoot use the libtcod inverted title.
Display in-game messages at the top of the screen.
Hook up combat messages.
Add in-game items.
Diagonal player movement (ala Infra-Arcana).
Diagonal AI movement (may already have it).
Move player start position beside road and give them a car + fuel.
Vehicles and fuel.
Place secondary locations (bunkers, gangs, ..).
Add non-highway roads and some dirt roads.
Add terrain types other than grass (world).
Add rivers, with bridges for roads affected (world).
Add lakes (world).
Simple instance scenery, trees, mud, ponds.
World tiles only reveals when standing on them.
Besides secondary locations, vehicles and fuel, the above should be relatively straightforward. The actual game depth I have a range of ideas about, and no worries I can make an interesting game. But whether I can cut enough back to make enough gameplay within the time limit.. remains to be seen.
No real changes in gameplay, but devices can be thrown, and they’re well on the way to being configurable to activate on a timer or remote control. Once that’s done, I can code up the effects, hologram projectors, etc. Then the fun starts >:3