SkullDorado – Day 2

device-2013-03-12-1748438:00 pm Tuesday marks the end of Day 2 for SkullDorado!

Things are progressing nicely. I have enemies which run around and attack the player, a HP meter that actually works, Log output to the screen console, Waiting by tapping the screen rather than swiping, blocks that alternate up and down after a certain number of turns– and some behind the scenes stuff fixed like the game not re-initializing when using the back button to return to the title menu.

At the end of 48 hours I like to think how much I would’ve accomplished for a 48-hour jam, and while I would’ve had more time on a weekend, I think I still got a respectable amount accomplished. With that time I could have finished the player attacking logic and would be done. However as there’s still five days left I can do that plus get the camera scrolling for a larger map and get random map generation, game saving, and items all working. Hopefully with a little time left for polish.

Because my ascii character set is just a loaded image, I can do things like replace characters (see the skull in the title bar? That’s actually the É character. Also, with a different graphic and a changed value I could use tiles that are bigger than 8×8. One of my stretch goals for this project is to actually do a little bit with that and make a custom character set to use instead of the ascii set.

One thing I have to think about as well is implementing some sort of settings menu, for things like changing the sensitivity of what constitutes a swipe vs. a tap. And turning off vibration, too. I suppose some people will want that.

Since there’s now 5 days left and two of them are weekend days, I have a whole lot of confidence that I’ll blow last years project out of the water! Wish me luck!

( Cross-posted from: http://plus.google.com/u/0/106913965879181641683/posts )

SkullDorado – Day 1

 

device-2013-03-11-191501

8:00 pm Monday, which means the end of Day 1 for SkullDorado. (Incorrectly parsed as “Skull Dorado” in the screenshot.)

I’m pretty happy with my progress so far. I wrote a class to handle ascii output to the screen, which includes a color filter so I can blit the characters to the screen in any color, and wrote a text parser to write a log output to the screen using those same ascii characters. Which also gets used to write text to the screen just about anywhere I’d like.

Also I made sure that everything gets scaled correctly to the size of the screen, however I’m sure it might look squished/stretched on screens that use different ratios. It’s not really a priority right now to figure out support on that, though. I am gonna see about borrowing a tablet later to make sure it doesn’t look too bad up-scaled on a large device.

Next up in the plan is to get enemies running around and combat working. This is something I slacked on last year and didn’t get finished in time, so I want to work on it earlier. Even if my map stuff sucks, it’ll be more of a game if at least you can run around and fight dudes.

( Cross-posted from: http://plus.google.com/u/0/106913965879181641683/posts )

 

Husk: Day II

Yesterday was also pretty uneventful because I had to spend the day mostly writing framework-level code. However, the framework’s functionality is now back to about where it was last 7DRL (but much more extensible).

My job today is getting the existing combat implementation back to functional levels. The system already supports some really fancy stuff, like locational damage and multiple attacks. If I have time after getting combat to a working state, I’ll probably get AI working again (it’s been disabled for quite a while).

Husk: Day I

Not a very eventful first day. I’m using my own framework for this, but I’m in the middle of some major architectural work on it that I didn’t have time to finish. You can move around and inspect actors, but a lot of basic functionality is only sort-of-implemented. After some initial setup of the game folder, I delved right into committing to a separate branch off of master for making the framework more operational. Hopefully that will be done with in a day or two…