The Goblin’s Well Update Video #02: minor changes, better code and movement

So i realized that our game is turning on… a real game! This is fantastic! For our first game, we are very happy to make this real, and we hope you all have fun with it. But before you can play it, it’s time to advances!

1- 12 monsters;
2- 23 tilesets for level design;
3- better player movement;
4- all-in-one dungeon building system (enviroment and monsters placing in the same time)
5- random dungeon generator;
6- music and sounds;
7- better code.

And here is the video:

Don’t forget to follow the development on Twitter or Tumblr (:

SkullDorado – Day 2

device-2013-03-12-1748438:00 pm Tuesday marks the end of Day 2 for SkullDorado!

Things are progressing nicely. I have enemies which run around and attack the player, a HP meter that actually works, Log output to the screen console, Waiting by tapping the screen rather than swiping, blocks that alternate up and down after a certain number of turns– and some behind the scenes stuff fixed like the game not re-initializing when using the back button to return to the title menu.

At the end of 48 hours I like to think how much I would’ve accomplished for a 48-hour jam, and while I would’ve had more time on a weekend, I think I still got a respectable amount accomplished. With that time I could have finished the player attacking logic and would be done. However as there’s still five days left I can do that plus get the camera scrolling for a larger map and get random map generation, game saving, and items all working. Hopefully with a little time left for polish.

Because my ascii character set is just a loaded image, I can do things like replace characters (see the skull in the title bar? That’s actually the É character. Also, with a different graphic and a changed value I could use tiles that are bigger than 8×8. One of my stretch goals for this project is to actually do a little bit with that and make a custom character set to use instead of the ascii set.

One thing I have to think about as well is implementing some sort of settings menu, for things like changing the sensitivity of what constitutes a swipe vs. a tap. And turning off vibration, too. I suppose some people will want that.

Since there’s now 5 days left and two of them are weekend days, I have a whole lot of confidence that I’ll blow last years project out of the water! Wish me luck!

( Cross-posted from: http://plus.google.com/u/0/106913965879181641683/posts )

SkullDorado – Day 1

 

device-2013-03-11-191501

8:00 pm Monday, which means the end of Day 1 for SkullDorado. (Incorrectly parsed as “Skull Dorado” in the screenshot.)

I’m pretty happy with my progress so far. I wrote a class to handle ascii output to the screen, which includes a color filter so I can blit the characters to the screen in any color, and wrote a text parser to write a log output to the screen using those same ascii characters. Which also gets used to write text to the screen just about anywhere I’d like.

Also I made sure that everything gets scaled correctly to the size of the screen, however I’m sure it might look squished/stretched on screens that use different ratios. It’s not really a priority right now to figure out support on that, though. I am gonna see about borrowing a tablet later to make sure it doesn’t look too bad up-scaled on a large device.

Next up in the plan is to get enemies running around and combat working. This is something I slacked on last year and didn’t get finished in time, so I want to work on it earlier. Even if my map stuff sucks, it’ll be more of a game if at least you can run around and fight dudes.

( Cross-posted from: http://plus.google.com/u/0/106913965879181641683/posts )

 

The Goblin’s Well Update Video #01

Hi, it’s Artur from level2project, and i’m very happy to show you our first update video of our game:

After 24 hours of code and art work, we have about 60% of all game mechanics, including movement, audio, collision detection and simple monster A.I. We are using Tiled for level design, so the game won’t have randomly generated levels.

Our first 7DRL, our first official game!

Hi, my name is Artur and I’m the level2project’s programmer. We’re very excited about this game, because it’ll be our first official game as a game studio. As I said, I’m the programmer and designer, too. Bruno is our art director and Hamlet is our “social guy”. The game is called “The Goblin’s Well”. It tells the history of Almox, a adventurer and explorer, who is sucked into a misteirously pit in the top of a hill. Down there, Almox realized that place was not just a normal water well. You have to help him to find a way out of there! For that, you’ll lead Almox through great dungeons and subterrain caves, full of monsters and treasures. Secrets of a ancient history will be revelead, and secretes about Almox’s personal life too…

Well, the challenge has started, so it’s time to code!

1- You can find more info about our game and our studio here;
2- This is the link to the subpage of the game’s development;
3- This is the future download page;
4- And this is our twitchtv channel!

We hope you like our game! Bye (: