My first failed 7drl, after three successes. Unfortunately I misplaced my motivation and did no coding in the past couple of days. I’ll finish the game later. Here’s a pic of the end state:
Progress is slow but being made. Here’s a list what’s done since last update:
- There’s now an inventory and some functional items
- The item system is beautiful: adding new ones is simply setting the properties for a prototype and it will then automatically show in the UI with a key help if the player has it and is able to use it currently.
- Combat system is vastly improved, but still not good enough
- Experience system with beginnings of character attributes and level-up screen
- Buy menu: no shops yet but the menu is mostly working
- Slightly improved furniture placement
Past two days I haven’t been coding as much as I’d hoped, but I have still made some progress. Since day 1, the most visible addition is the UI (pictured below), which features some stats and weapons. It’s functional, although you can’t yet buy weapons, so the inventory is hard-coded.
Another important addition is enemies and combat. It’s still very primitive and being ranged instead of melee brings a whole lot of issues that need thinking. However, it is now possible to kill bandits and die yourself.
Other things include some cosmetic changes and adding furniture to the houses (needs improvement though, and there aren’t any special places like a saloon yet). At some point I thought of actually using one of my previous 7DRLs, City of the Condemned (C++) as a starting point when I realized the town generator is going to need a whole lot of stuff that’s already in CotC. However, being playable in web browser and not particularly liking CotC’s generator code (the output I find very nice though) tipped the scale to Unicodetiles.js.
My plan for next is improve the combat mechanics and start adding important shops like a doctor’s office and a gun store. However, as I’m not a huge fan of menus, I might need to think about the implementation a bit.
I started working on my western roguelike (name not yet finalized) at 14:55 GMT+2. Nothing terribly exciting yet, but this is what I got done during the first day:
- Basic movement, collision detection and openable doors
- Skeleton of a town generator
- NPCs with names, basic movement and path finding
- Day-night cycle: colors change depending on the time and NPCs go to their homes for sleep at night
This will be my fourth 7DRLC and this time I’ve decided to create a game set into the Old West. There certainly aren’t too many roguelikes (or any games for that matter) with that theme.
In the game, you play as the sheriff of a randomly generated frontier town which will contain all the basics such as a saloon, hotel, bordello, bank and church. Player’s task is to defend the town from bandits, catch criminals etc. in randomly generated missions that appear dynamically.
This game will feature a bit deeper role-playing elements than my previous 7DRLs. Still, my main focus will be modelling a lively town to explore, and interesting, varying “quests” to accomplish.
I’ve yet to decide on the name but these are potential candidates: Sheriff, Lawman, A Town Called Mercy, A Town Called Hope. The game will be playable in a modern web browser using my own (recently updated!) Unicodetiles.js engine (that I also used last year).
If you’re interested, you can find my previous three 7DRLs by scrolling down tapiov.net