Pirates of Rogue Basin – Day 1

As Day 1 draws to a close, I’m feeling pretty good. In place are world generation, basic UI bits for game mode, basic City, Ship, and Captain classes.

I finished all I’d planned for the first 24 hours about 2 hours early. That time will come in handy when I remember the countless things I didn’t account for in my planning.

World Generation/preview:

Intro / select your home Port:

and the main Game UI:

The captain’s log is in place, with a scrollable version of the world map.

Day 2 will bring navigation, fog of war/exploration, and some detailed information about the cities on the map screen.

Some Dogs Go To Hell – Success… of a sort.

Some Dogs Go To Hell is my first 7DRL entry, and indeed my first roguelike! I finished it on Saturday, but I haven’t quite had time to post about it ’till now. It’s a game about a dog who has died and been wrongfully sent to Hell, and must join together with other passed dogs to defeat the legions of the underworld and escape.

 

I’m calling it finished, though only just. I’m certainly not happy with it, and if I had an extra day or two there’s plenty I’d add, and plenty of issues left unfixed. Still, the core of the game was three ideas:

  1.  Gameplay based around the player character being able to see better than they can smell
  2. Complex NPC dogs that the player can convince, through correct application of social procedures (like playing and respecting other dog’s personal space) to help the PC, or by failure anger them into attacking
  3. Intricate and deadly Dwarf Fortress-esque tactical combat

… and those are all in there, and the game basically works, so in my books it’s a success.

 

SDGTH was done in Python 3, from scratch, using TDL, a wrapper for libtcod. I didn’t have any code written beforehand (besides the pathing and POV services libtcod provides, which is honestly the most complex code in the entire game,) though I did copy most of the systems architecture over from my other (still in development) game INJECTION.

I was gonna write a big long explanation of how the game was designed here, but WordPress isn’t cooperating. If anyone’s actually interested in it, maybe I’ll start my own blog and do it there or something.

Anyway, 7DRL was fun, if exhausting, and I’m glad I have something to show for it. I’m not going to work on SDGTH again for a while (I’m sick of looking at it!) but an enhanced post-7DRL version is definitely in the cards.

Deathdealer — Success!

My entry into the 2015 Seven-Day Roguelike Challenge is complete! Deathdealer, an arena combat roguelike with trading card game mechanics, is finished and available for you to play.Deathdealer_screenshot

Features:

  • Survive as long as possible against endless waves of fiendishly difficult enemies
  • Mix and match three schools of magic
  • Customize your character’s deck from 69 different cards
  • Vanquish 32 types of enemies, including 6 absurdly lethal boss monsters
  • Unlock new cards every 5 waves to expand your capabilities
  • Simple controls make the game easy to play
  • Advanced ASCII graphics technology for a modern user experience

Controls:

  • WASD, arrow keys, or vi-keys to move or use menus
  • 1-7 to cast spells from your hand
  • Tab to view enemy information
  • Spacebar or period to wait one turn, to make selections in menus, or to exit the deck builder
  • + and – to add or remove cards from your deck
  • Escape to quit

Known Bugs:

  • Enemy pathfinding is rather weak.
  • Minimum deck size of 20 cards is not enforced, and issues may occur with decks of 7 or fewer cards; please make your decks contain at least 20 cards.
  • No in-game help is available.
  • Completely untested on any platforms other than Mac OS X.

Download Deathdealer for Mac OS X here, or the python source (for any platform with Python) here.

Good Game Success

Good Game screenshot

A tactics/strategy game focused on using consumables

gimmicks: number of enemies for each floor is constant, ascii character health representation, potions with a random chance of two effects

after the 7 days I realized I had a bug so I included a post-challenge updated version, no gameplay changes

you can download the latest version or download the 7drl version (both include a windows .exe and python source)

arrow keys: move/attack, numbers:use potion, Esc:exit

read the manual for detailed information, most of it should be apparent from play

Servitude – Day 1 – Report

Well, my seven days are up.  Too much time was spent debugging the same silly problems, hours on end each day.  Yesterday, it was just not being able to get my indexing into a given piece of allocated memory to work correctly.

  • As a challenge to write some reusable game code which I can build on in future, SUCCESS.
  • As a challenge to write a game, FAILURE.