Mutant Aliens! – 7DRL Success!!

Well, there are lots of features I wanted that aren’t in it. But it’s playable, it’s very coffeebreaky, it can be very challenging, and it’s very prone to killing you just when you think you’ve won. Don’t let them get too close. Run away often. Use your explosives wisely.

I guess it turns out a worthwhile roguelike doesn’t have to have remote controlled brain slices.

Comments, feedback, bug reports, particularly along the lines of “Add in-game help as a bugfix or I refuse to play” can be posted here, or sent to quendus at google’s email domain. I’ll post to the newsgroup soonish.

Your dismembered limbs shake gently.
The hardest mode... just... no.


You wash the maa-kneent with Tx-PBS three times with gentle shaking.
Difficulty level 6 is winnable, but here's a time when I lost by a hair's breadth.
The ship shakes gently.
The easiest difficulty setting is so easy that I didn't even have to kill an alien.

Mutant Aliens! 157 hour prerelease

Prerelease version. With 11 hours to go, any bug reports, complaints, flames, appreciation, comments, whatever would be appreciated. In particular, is there enough information in the interface to address the concerns previously expressed in comments?

Tested on Windows, Linux, OSX 10.4

The ground shakes gently.
Destroyed the transmitter, didn't get back fast enough, aliens followed me through the door. Went out with a deafening bang.

MarioRL (Day 3-ish)

Edit: Fixed Post title. I guess it’s still another 16 hours until Day 4 in 7DRL time. Officially, I’m about a day behind in dev time, since the first day I spent not realizing until mid-day the contest had started, then started working on the tile graphics.

Using Game Maker:HTML5 (a java based platform) to make a serious game has been interesting.  GM has grown up over the years and is starting to look respectable, especially given that Derek Yu’s Spelunky was made with GM.  GM’s main appeal to  young coders is its drag and drop functionality.  Well, you can’t drag and drop a Roguelike together with it, I’ll tell you that.

After Day 1 it was apparent I had to learn GML, GM’s native scripting language.  Why?  Because it’s a lot quicker than trying to Drag & Drop a gajillion different variables!  GML shares many similarities with Java and C++ so I’ve picked it up pretty quickly but not being familiar with all the functions and syntax has occupied a bit of my time.  I managed to create and subsequently track down two game breaking bugs today that were the result of misused syntax.

Input/Output, Graphics/Interface and Level Generation/Advancing is done.  I’m working on Enemies & AI right now.  Lastly is Items/Inventory, Experience/Leveling and then debugging and polishing it all up.

Here’s the latest screenshot: (Lives: 1/Continues: 0 is a little inside joke for the RL crowd)
MarioRL - Day 4 Dev Screenshot



Hi, everyone!  Long-time crawler, first-time 7DRLer.

So, not entirely original but as far as I could Google this hasn’t actually been done yet!  You have to make your way from dungeon to dungeon ala “Your princess is in another dungeon.”, fight Bowser in the last dungeon and save the princess.  It will include standard roguelike gameplay, fireball & star powers which last for a limited number of turns, pipes instead of stairs & classic baddies from SMB1.

I decided to use GM:HTML5 for this project, which may or may not have been a great idea since I also purchased it last week and am still figuring it out.  I’m a quick read and while some parts are going great, other parts are like… \o/

Graphics, Music & Sound are 99%.  Movement/Mapping is 50%.  Game UI/Inventory is what I’m tackling atm.  Then on to Items, Attack & Monsters.  If I don’t make it in time, I plan to finish the basic game nonetheless.

I’d like to also give a shout-out to my fellow competitors.  There is some great stuff already in the works and I look forward to playing them all!

Lastly, some screenshots: (last one is a screenshot of a glitch)
My Dev Blog: Crapsoft Studios | My Roguelike News & Dev Blog: Amulet of Yendor


Kepler-10b Sound Editing

I have now begun to work on the sounds of Kepler-10b. I’ve made a few subroutines that play multiple sounds at once, fading in and out.. ambience, music, etc. All of these routines were ported from Plains of Sedia (my main project.)  So fortunately for me, today won’t be ridden by programming endless code, but by creating, editing, and saving numerous sounds and music that will allow Kepler-10b to engulf it’s players in a more believable atmosphere.

Currently most of the sound editing is created through FL (Fruity Loops) with sound samples from various open source media archives and personal alike. The sounds are processed and squeezed through Adobe Audition with filters and time constraints to ensure the sizes don’t get too outrageous for a Roguelike. I don’t think anybody would want to download 100+mb RL where 99.9% of the data is all music…

Adobe Audition Editing Soundscape
Adobe Audition Editing Soundscape

I hope everyones projects are meeting success as the week dredges on. I look forward to playing many RL’s for the weeks following the competition.