Blackguard: Day 1 Update

Day one has gone fairly smoothly, though I haven’t got as much done as I would have liked, mostly due to being distracted by some real-life errands. However, the rest of my week is all clear, so it’s full steam ahead from here. So far, I have the basic framework set up, area generation is done aside from fine-tuning, and the player can move around the level.

Blackguard: Day 1 - An empty cave
Blackguard: Day 1 – An empty cave

If the graphics look familiar, it’s because I’m using the Dungeon Crawl tileset.  As much as I would have liked to create my own graphics, time is of the essence, and this tileset is perfect for my purposes.

One of the main things I was hoping to get out of this project was a sense of how easy or hard it is to use my library to make a game from scratch, and I’ve already made a long list of potential improvements. That said, I managed to get things up and running fairly quickly, so I’m pretty happy with it overall.

The agenda for tomorrow is items, equipment, and inventory management.

7DRL 2014: Blackguard

Despite tinkering with roguelike development for a few years now, this will be my first time entering the 7DRL challenge. I’ll be using a roguelike library that I’ve developed in my spare time over the last ~8 months, which I’ve dubbed ‘Blackguard’ (as in a synonym of ‘rogue’, not the DnD interpretation). It’s written in C++, uses SDL2 for rendering, and is focused on tile-based games. Right now, it provides the basic game data structures you’d expect, along with pathfinding and simple enemy AI. For anyone interested, I’ve made it available open source here.

My main goal for this week is to make my first complete game using this library, so I’m aiming for something fairly simple and traditional in terms of gameplay. That said, I also intend to experiment with the idea of minimising the amount of numbers the player sees describing the game state, and expressing combat, item attributes, etc. in a more narrative way.

I haven’t figured out a final name yet, so I’ll go with the working title ‘Blackguard’ for now.